An irresistible English dessert, Banoffee pie as the name suggests is a pie with a crushed biscuit base and a rich creamy filling of banana slices, thick golden toffee and cream that literally melts in your mouth with every bite you take. It is rich, indulgent, sinful yet incredibly easy to make as it involves no baking. The base is tender, buttery and crisp with layers of ripe banana slices topped with a rich smooth toffee filling and loads of whipped cream. A perfect combination to sweep you off the floor!!
- Butter – 100g
- Digestive biscuits – 1 big pack
- Condensed milk – 1 can (for the toffee)
- 2 ripe Bananas
- Whipping cream
- Chocolate pieces (for the topping)
- Boil water in a large saucepan and once boiled, immerse the unopened can of condensed milk in the boiling water. make sure the can is completely immersed all the time. Keep boiling it for 30 -40 mins.
- To make the base, powder the digestive biscuits and blend it well adding the butter until you get a soft mouldable mass.
- Grease the bottom of your tart pan with butter and cover it with the powdered biscuit-butter mix. take care to smooth it out evenly using the back of a spoon. Make sure you cover the sides as well leaving enough room in the middle for the filling. Refrigerate this until the caramel is ready.
- Slice the bananas and spread it over the biscuit crust.
- Remove the condensed milk can from the boiling water, cool it and open it to get rich golden caramel. spread the entire tin of the toffee thus made over the bananas.
- Whip the cream lightly until soft and fluffy. Spread it over the pie.
- Top it with broken pieces of chcolate or cocoa powder and refrigerate for few hours.
- Make sure you pour sufficient water to keep the can fully immersed at all times to avoid explosion of the can.
- An alternative to the can boiling method is to stir condensed milk, sugar and butter over a stove top until you get the caramel of desired consistency.
- I used twix chocolate for the topping as the crunchy choco caramel feel of it goes well with the banoffee pie. You can use milk chocolate shavings, cocoa powder or even fruits of your choice for added flavor.