Chatti pathiri is one of those malabar delicacies that is not too likely to make its way to your plate unless on a ramzan day. Its a very popular iftar snack made of layers of pancakes with a generous amount of meat filling. Also known as atti pathiri, this could be considered as a malabar version of the famous italian lasagna with cheese replaced by egg.
For the pancakes:
- Maida (Plain flour) – 1 1/2 cups
- Eggs – 3
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of turmeric
For the filling:
- Onions – 2 finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- green chillies – 2
- chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- fennel seeds powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Minced meat
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Blend the maida (All purpose flour) with sufficient water, 1 beaten egg, salt and a pinch of turmeric powder to get a dosa batter like consistency.
- Heat a dosa tawa and make thin pancakes out of the batter and keep aside. Do not overcook. The pancakes must be soft and not crisp. You will need at least 6-8 pancakes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the onions and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and green chillies and saute till soft.
- Add salt, chilly powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, fennel seeds powder and fry until the raw smell of masala goes.
- Add minced meat, cover and cook till the meat is properly cooked.
- Beat 2 eggs in a bowl, add pinch of salt, turmeric powder and pepper powder and beat well.
- Dip each pancake in the egg mixture and place on a greased frying pan.
- Spread a generous layer of meat filling on top of the pancake.
- Repeat the process with the remaining pancakes and the filling.
- Leftover egg mixture can be poured over the last layer.
- Cover this and keep on low flame for 8 mins.
- After 8 mins, flip the chatti pathiri and cover and cook on low flame for another 5 mins and turn off.
- For the filling you can use any kind of meat, you can either cook it separately and then mince it or buy minced meat and cook it along with the filling.
- During the layering process, make sure the pan is properly greased and take care not to break the pan cakes. The trick is to dip it properly in the egg mixture.
- Be generous with the meat filling as more the filling better the taste.