Tiramisu, a classic Italian dessert made of layers of coffee soaked biscuits, whipped cream and cocoa. Apparently, the word tiramisu means “cheer me up” or “wake me up” and whats best to cheer you other than the perfect combination of coffee, cream and cocoa!! The creamy mascarpone blends perfectly with the biscuits soaked in rich coffee that literally melts in your mouth. Every bite is a delightful creamy cheesy coffee’y chocolaty treat, guaranteed to cheer you up!!
- Biscuits (Preferably ‘Petit Beurre’)
- Strong black coffee
- Whipping cream
- Mascarpone cheese (Or cream cheese)
- Cocoa powder
- Thick fresh cream
- Grease a baking tin with butter.
- Add sugar to the whipping cream and whip it really well for 5-10 mins and leave it in the refrigerator for 10-15 mins
- Mix cocoa powder with fresh cream and mix well until creamy. Place it in refrigerator for 10-15 mins.
- Dip the biscuits one by one in super strong coffee and place them on the baking tin to cover the bottom. make sure not to leave any gaps in between
- Add mascarpone cheese at room temperature onto the whipped cream and fold well.
- Place a generous layer of mascarpone whipped cream mixture on top of the biscuit layer
- Dust some cocoa on top of this using a sieve.
- Add another layer of biscuits dipped in coffee on top.
- Add a layer of cocoa cream mixture and spread evenly
- Add a layer of mascarpone whipped cream and gently swirl using a knife to blend well with the cocoa layer.
- Dust with cocoa powder.
- Refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Classic Tiramisu uses lady finger cookies or petit beurre french biscuits. You can use any biscuits like marie gold etc. Just make sure its properly soaked in coffee before layering
- Instead of mascarpone, you can use cream cheese as well. Make sure its kept at room temperature so it makes it easier to work with.
- Some people add rum to the coffee to add to the flavor
- Be generous with the layers to increase the taste.
- There’s no hard and fast rule. Essentially tiramisu is a layered dessert so you can be creative and choose your own layers as you like it .