Spicy, hot and flavorful, pepper chicken is perfect for a winter day. Every square inch of the dish tastes of pepper and if your taste buds have a special craving for spicy foods, then this is your thing. The fact that this recipe does not use water at all and that the whole chicken is cooked in the moisture of onions and the chicken makes it all the more appetizing. This is also the reason why the flavor of the pepper is so prominent in the preparation.
- Chicken – washed and cleaned
- Onions – 2 thinly sliced
- Green chillies – 2 slit
- Coarsely ground fresh pepper – 4-5 teaspoons
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Yogurt – 2 teaspoons
- turmeric powder – 2 teaspoons
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves
- Squeeze of a lemon
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken with a spoon of turmeric powder, 2 teaspoons of freshly ground pepper, yogurt and salt. Leave for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the two slit green chillies and roast.
- Splutter some mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir
- Add onions, salt and saute until soft and translucent
- Add a spoon of turmeric powder, 1/2 a spoon of coriander and 3 teaspoons of fresh ground pepper and stir until the raw smell goes.
- Add the chicken and stir well.
- Cover and cook for about 20-25 mins stirring occasionally.
- Turn off and add a squeeze of a lemon.
- You can tweak the spiciness of the dish by reducing the amount of pepper powder used and by omitting green chillies altogether.
- You can also use pepper powder, but it isn’t as flavorful as fresh pepper is.