Erachi pathiri is a deep-fried bread stuffed with a spicy non veg filling. An extremely popular snack in the Malabar and a must have for Iftar. The filling is rich and spicy cooked in coconut oil. It is aromatic, with the flavours of fennel seeds, pepper and curry leaves giving it a nice traditional touch. This goes inside a perfectly consistent dough and deep fried to a golden brown mass of crunchy goodness.
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- finely chopped ginger and garlic
- green chillies – 2
- chicken – cooked and shredded
- curry leaves finely chopped (5-6 leaves)
- Powdered fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- chilly powder – 2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut oil – 2 tablespoons
- Squeeze of a lemon(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- All purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Oil to deep fry
- Cook the chicken by adding pinch of turmeric and salt and shred the pieces and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add the green chillies, ginger and garlic.
- Add onions and salt and saute until golden brown.
- Add the curry leaves and fennel seeds powder and saute.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and saute well.
- Add the shredded pieces of chicken and cook well without adding any water.
- Top with some pepper powder and turn off the flame. You can optionally add a squeeze of a lemon to neutralize the spice.
- Add sufficient water and knead the dough well as you would for normal rotis. Leave it aside for a few minutes to make it soft.
- Make small balls of the dough and roll it into a small circle.
- Cut the roti in half and add a small spoonful of the filling to one side of the semi circle and fold it. Seal the sides by pressing it with your fingers.
- Pinch and fold the sealed sides .
- Deep fry the pathiris on high flame until golden brown.
- I used chicken in this recipe, you could use any non veg of your choice, chicken, beef mutton or even boiled egg. You could pick some chicken pieces from the curry and shred them to make the filling.
- Make sure to drain the oil well after frying as it absorbs a lot of oil.
- If you cant pinch and fold the sides properly, you could use a fork to shape the sides. The idea is to seal them properly so that oil doesnt get inside while frying.