A very popular Indo Chinese snack, spring rolls are a kind of fill and roll appetizers said to be originally a popular street food in China and other South East Asian countries. These rolls are crispy on the outside and nice and crunchy on the inside. The filling has a strong taste of soy bean sauce which gives it the traditional Indo Chinese flavor. The rolls are loaded with generous amounts of chicken and a lot of rich veggies so the snack in itself is tummy filling. The ingredients are easily available and a perfect make for a rainy day tea time snack.
- Chicken breast pieces – 2 or 3
- Cabbage – a cup thinly sliced
- Carrot – a cup thinly sliced
- Onions – a cup
- Capsicum – a cup thinly sliced
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 teaspoons
- Soy bean sauce- 2 teaspoons
- pepper powder – 2 teaspoons
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- All purpose flour – 2 cups/Spring roll leaves
For the Spring roll leaf:
- Knead a dough by adding hot water and salt to the all purpose flour. Knead until smooth. Keep aside for few minutes
- Roll out Small roti sized circles fry both sides on a pan until slightly changes colour.
- Do not over cook.
- Cover the rolled leaves and set aside.
For the filling:
- Cook the chicken breasts adding a bit of salt and pepper
- Shred the chicken pieces and set aside
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the onions and saute
- Add the ginger garlic paste.
- Add the shredded chicken and fry for a minute
- Toss in all the vegetables one by one and fry on high flame
- Add some soy bean sauce and stir well.
- Add a spoonful of chicken stock obtained while cooking the breasts and cover and cook on medium flame for about 4-5 mins. Do not over cook as we need the crunchiness of the veggies to be retained.
- Add pepper powder and stir well and turn off the flame.
- Once the filling cools down, take a generous amount of filling and place it in one corner of the leaf and roll well.
- Make a paste out of flour and water and use it to seal the sides of the spring rolls.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice while making the filling. You can even add boiled noodles and it will taste great.