Deliciously creamy Mexican delight. An overloaded meal with pretty much everything that makes you feel good and satisfied from within. The sauce is mild yet flavorful, the tortillas perfectly soaked and loaded with chicken cooked with caramelized onions and to top it all, there’s deliciously creamy cheese that literally strings in your mouth. A perfect ‘oh so heavenly’ meal for the sinful foodies!!
For the sauce:
- Dried red chillies – 4 or 5
- Chicken stock – a cup
- Tomatoes – 2
- red chilly powder – 3 teaspoons
- green chilly sauce – 1 teaspoon
- cumin – 2 teaspoons
- oregano seasoning – 2 teaspoons
- garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Flour – 2-3 teaspoons
For the filling:
- Shredded chicken – 1 cup
- Onions chopped – 2
- pepper powder – 2-3 teaspoons
- cheese cubes -1
- Olive oil
For the tortillas:
- Flour – 1 cup
- Corn flour – 1 cup
- Remove the seeds of the red chilies and roast them on a hot pan until it starts giving a nice smell.
- Blend together the roasted chilies, tomatoes and chicken stock. (You can use the stock from cooking the chicken pieces for the filling)
- Bring the blended sauce to a boil.
- Add the green chilly sauce, cumin, oregano, garlic paste and stir continuously
- Add the flour to thicken the sauce. keep stirring.
- Once the sauce starts to get thick, check for seasoning and turn off flame. It should be of pouring consistency.
- Knead the flour and corn flour into a nice dough and roll out circles.
- Fry them on both sides until color changes slightly.
- Add olive oil into a pan and saute the onions really well until they begin to caramelize.
- Toss in the shredded chicken and fry well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese cube and continue to saute well.
- Turn off when the cheese has melted well.
Assembling the enchiladas:
- Oil the tortillas slightly with olive oil.
- On a baking dish, pour the enchilada sauce until the bottom is completely covered in sauce.
- Spread the sauce on the oiled tortilla and add a generous amount of filling. Roll the tortilla and place it on the dish.
- Repeat this with the remaining tortillas and place the side by side on the dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the rolled tortillas covering them completely in sauce.
- Top with generous amounts of grated cheese.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes. You can also bake at 350 for 12-15mins.
- This recipe uses homemade enchilada sauce and tortillas, store bought works just as fine.
- You can adjust the spice level according to your taste. You may have to check for seasoning and adjust quantities accordingly.
- Be careful about the amount of salt you add, as there’s salt in everything.
- You can use the cheese of your choice.