The Vermicelli Upma is one of the easiest dish that you can put together. The ingredients are readily available in an average kitchen and the cooking time is less than 15mins. It tastes amazing, obviously, something thats roasted in ghee, cooked in milk, flavored with saffron and served with roasted dry fruits can only be heavenly!!! A good start to the day as an easy weekend breakfast or as a refreshing tea time snack.
- Vermicelli (semiya)
- 1 cup milk
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar
- Dry fruits
- a pinch of saffron soaked in milk (optional)
- Ghee 2-3 teaspoons
- Dry roast the vermicelli on a medium high flame until brown and aromatic stirring continuously to avoid burning. Avoid this step if your vermicelli is already roasted.
- Heat 2-3 teaspoons of ghee in a pan. Roast dry fruits of your choice and keep aside.
- In the same pan add the roasted vermicelli and sugar and stir for a minute. Add a cup of milk and keep stirring for a few minutes. Add more milk if the vermicelli gets too dry. Also add the saffron or any other flavoring of your choice.
- Turn off the flame when the vermicelli gets semi tender and cooked. Serve with the roasted dry fruits.
- The vermicelli should be cooked only to the level that its semi tender. The Upma would taste great only if the vermicelli retains its crunchiness.
- I mixed the dry fruits during cooking coz I like to find it in between my upma while eating, but you can reserve it for garnishing or do as you please.